Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Google Art Project

Today I spent several hours in the Google Art Project which allows you to tour through many major museums throughout the world such as Berlin, Germany, and NYC. I am still gathering inspiration for my thesis and I find museums to be a very fitting place for my research because my thesis will consistently revolve around the question "what is art". Museums are important to answer this question because they stand to be as the only definitive place that dictates what is art and what is not. For example on the internet anyone can put anything on it and it is not dictated, and even on the street anyone can tag a street corner or post a picture, but in a museum everything is regulated and voted in and it is restricted to a certain group of people. This group of people also relates to my thesis because it regards fame, for example there are millions of artists who would love to have their work displayed in a museum such as the MOMA or the MET however fame and money plays a factor into who can get their work into the museum, which shows that this choice is not always based on whose work is the best but rather who is the most popular.
One of the characters I want to reflect through the thesis is loosely based on myself and my struggles a young artist and how coming to NYC has influenced my perception of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment